Monday, July 6, 2015

9 - Musical Genre for a Lifetime Knowledge.












Hello again! Today my blog would be all about "Music of the 20th Century Era". I will now interpret 5 different kinds of music genre of the 20th century and I will state my own reflection about it, while providing some examples to all the given genre.

Impressionism, a genre for Claude Debussy and his composition is the Reverie. Reverie is a daydream, a dreamy state of mind, an instrumental composition of a diffuse and dreamy character. When I heard the introduction I felt free and relieved like I felt that I am dreaming, but the real thing is that I'm just sitting in a quiet place listening to this selection. It's like a feeling when the world is in peace meaning no unintelligible noise, no unnecessary sound, and no frequently repeated sound the may disturb my state of calmness. Expressionism, a genre for Igor Stravinsky and his composition is Petrushka. Petrushka is somewhat complicated, but all I know is that it changes its tone in a faster way that listeners would need to follow its flow in a much faster way. It gradually changes your mood because of its fast beats and it gives me the barbaric and exotic feeling when I heard the mid part of the selection. My overall experience for the selection is that it made feel heavy deep inside my emotions, it made me feel that I was in war and fighting for my survival and for my fellow comrades also. It gave me a drastic change in mood that made my emotions down and the feeling of being apart from the world. Serialism, a genre for Arnold Schoenberg and his composition is the Piano Concerto no .1 Op.42. It features the use of the twelve-tone technique and only one tone row. My reaction is that it gave me the feeling of being murdered, according to my psychological distress while watching some murderous movies in HBO. Avante Garde, a genre for John Cage and his composition is the Aria. Aria is dedicated to Cathy Berberian, one of the most talented voices in 20th century. However this composition has become an obligatory stage for singer who is interested in contemporary music. The experimentation that was used is how an individual preach the written notes correctly and harmoniously good without orchestral accompaniment. For me, you need some strong guts to sing this kind of solo music and with the help of your self-eagerness to sing this selection properly. Minimalism, a genre for Philip Glass and his composition Opening from Circles. Formally it consists of three groups of four measure phrases of three to four chords repeated four times each. This selection gave me the sense of being in a state of mind meaning my mind is empty with any thoughts that can distract me in a calm state.

Now that you've learn something new, try looking deeper inside the meaning of music and never assume that music is just a noise surrounding us. Music is an art where you proclaim your emotions, experiences, and expectations through audio and my topic is just a branch of the tree of music.

1 comment:

  1. For a music-lover/player like me. This is a good description of music. Music has been in our lives, even before we were born. So we shouldn't decline it in our lives.

    ReplyDelete