Sunday, August 13, 2017

Learning Log for Information Systems Security: Week 9 and 10 (Machine Project)


For these weeks, we are about to start our machine project because our group aims to get the additional points for the finals and we will strive hard for the final period of this term. But first, we should stick to the academics and the lessons discussed in our subject, we discussed about the topic Cryptography. Back in the Discrete Math subject in our flowchart, our class have encountered and study the nature of cryptography. At first, I could not really cope up with the background of the topic, but after a while of discussion and evaluation, I have now fully understand its nature. For this term to be honest, I have really forgotten the nature of cryptography, how it works. The good thing is I don’t have to review it all again, but I should have an outlook of the application of Cryptography in information security which is much more likely to conceptualized. Some of the terms in Cryptography that was discussed by sir JP like ciphertext, cryptology, and encryption was first discussed in my Discrete subject, and it provides confidentiality, integrity, identification, authentication, and non-repudiation. There are some things that is new to me, but I’m not really sure if this is really new to me because maybe I have recalled sometimes related to these sub-points: that is was used during ancient Egyptian times, that it have much laws, and the algorithms that it uses. Honestly, the algorithms part are very new to me and my mind was blown because of this new knowledge. So we should start with Symmetric Encryption, this uses one key to encrypt and decrypt, and there are more sub-points to be discussed but we only focus on the main one. Asymmetric Encryption, uses one key to encrypt and uses another key to decrypt. In a scenario, to send a encrypted file, you will have to use the public key of the receiver, then the receiver will decrypt the file using the receiver’s private key, simple as that. There are much more algorithm discussed by sir JP, but this are the only two that I 100% understand the other algorithms are almost there. The Week 9 ended because the resumption of I.T week is Thursday which is Infosec time, so no classes. For the two meetings in Week 10, a debate was exhibited and I would like to share our debate topic. Our motion is to adapt China’s internet censorship here in the Philippines, our arguments are much valued than the opposing so we won the debate. I wouldn’t share the content because copy rights maybe exhibited and faults may occur for the greater good, but once again we won the argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment